Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Faith Like A Child

“They say that I can move the mountains and send them crashing to the sea. They say that I can walk on water if I would follow and believe with faith like a child.” ~ Like a Child, Jars of Clay

As Christians, we profess our faith in God. In reality, as humans, the whole faith thing gets a little tricky. I desire faith like a child. I’m not there yet, but it’s what I’m praying for daily. Remember when you were a little kid and you had complete faith that your parents were going to take care of you, provide for you, and love you unconditionally? Mostly it was because you didn’t know any better. At that age, no one had given you any reason to doubt those facts. Daily, the world and the people around us give us a kazillion reasons to give up on faith. As adults, we struggle to have faith in ourselves, faith in others, and most importantly faith in God. For lack of a better expression, we’re damaged goods. That damage creates fear… fear of the unknown, fear of failure, fear of being hurt… the list goes on and on and on… still, God expects us to have faith. We need faith. How scary would the world be without faith?! Even when you’re going through a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad time, you can still hold onto your faith to help you through because God promised to take care of us and He meant it. Knowing that, and embracing that are two very different things. Everyone struggles with faith in different ways. Personally, I have a hard time with the whole “Let go, and let God!” concept. It’s not that I don’t think He can handle it, it’s that He made me such an independent, self-assured, impatient person. You like how I just blamed my struggle with faith on God?! Geez. It’s that kind of thinking that gets us in trouble in the first place. I have a desire to live in God’s will… I just have a hard time accepting when God’s will and my will don’t match up. I’m a dreamer, and I when I see something I want, I go for it… no matter what. To say that’s a bad idea that will get you nowhere in a hurry would be an epic understatement. So, I’m working on letting go and trying to accept whatever path He has for me. It’s scary… like really really really scary. I know what I want, and I really hope that it’s what God wants too… BUT, if my will and His will don’t match up I hope that He’ll give me the courage to take whatever path He does put before me. I’m probably not going to be a happy camper about it at first, but I know that in the end His plan will be way better than anything I could have dreamed up on my own… which is pretty impressive because I can dream up some doozies. I’m at a crossroads right now where I’m having to work overtime to have faith like a child. I’m just convinced that He has something so wonderful and amazing for me on the horizon that I won’t even re-sign my lease because I’m not willing to commit to staying in San Antonio for another year. I may still be here in a year, but if another opportunity presents itself between now and then, I want to be ready to walk through that open door. Someone asked me where I was planning on going the other day. My answer, I don’t know. He looked at me like I might be crazy… and maybe I am, but at least I know that when the right thing comes along I’ll be ready for the adventure (wherever it takes me)… and hopefully, I’ll follow God’s path with faith like a child!

Click here to listen to Like A Child!

No comments:

Post a Comment