Sunday, October 30, 2011

Ain’t Nothin’ Sweet ‘Bout How I Hold My Gun

What does your family do for fun?  Mine plays with guns… in a responsible totally legal kind of way.  I’ve never shot a pistol before (until today)… truthfully, I’ve never shot any kind of gun before.  I’m always the nerdy kid sitting in the shade reading while everyone else blows through the ammo.  To say I have a healthy respect for guns would be an understatement.  They scare me… so much so that until now, I didn’t even like being around them.  I’ve always been curious what it would feel like to shoot one, and it looks like fun… assuming you can get past the fear that you’ll accidentally shoot yourself or someone else.  So today, I went to the Bexar County Shooting Range with my aunt and uncle.  Turns out good aim runs in the family!  I’m not one to brag, but I’m good… like real good… like pity the fool who tries to mess with me good!  A picture is worth a thousand words: 
Playing with guns is fun!  Playing with guns is empowering!  Playing with guns is also really dangerous if you’re not careful, so take it seriously.  I shot two different kinds of guns… a Glock 27, 40 caliber semi-automatic pistol and a Ruger LCP, 380 caliber semi-automatic pistol.  The Ruger is tiny, cute, and sassy… it’s also deceptively hard to handle.  The Glock is bigger and easier to handle.  Plus, it kinda makes you feel like a real BAD A$$ when you shoot it… pardon the language, but there’s really no other way to describe it.  If you’re not clear on what feeling like a BAD A$$ looks likes, here are a few pictures:
The best part about going to the shooting range is that it requires 100% of your attention and focus.  That’s a beautiful thing… no time to dwell on any of life’s troubles or the laundry that awaits you at home!  I was nervous and my body was tense, but it was strangely relaxing… all the junk going on in my head was completely silenced… totally peaceful.  It’s kind of odd to think that aiming a gun and shooting to kill is a fun, relaxing, peaceful pastime, but it was like going to my mental happy place… in a good way, not in a creepy way… no need to be alarmed.  There are also some real safety benefits to knowing how to properly use a gun.  As a single girl who travels for a living, it’s not a terrible idea to have one handy as a means of protecting myself.  As it turns out, guns aren’t scary… if you know how to use one properly and responsibly.  Meaning, it’s not okay to pull out your gun and wave it around to let the lady who cut you off in traffic know that you find her poor driving to be mildly offensive and annoying.  It should only be used as a means of self-protection or for sport… and aiming at a person’s feet making them jump around to avoid your bullets is not a sport… although I cannot lie, I can think of a few people I’d “play with” if it were a sport…

Bottom line, I’ve really been missing out all these years!  I’m asking Santa Claus for a Glock, a Concealed Handgun License (CHL), and sassy hot pink pair of those ear protector thingies for Christmas!  BANG! BANG! BANG!     

No comments:

Post a Comment