Saturday, November 12, 2011

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT

“She grew up on the side of the road
Where the church bells ring and strong love grows
She grew up good
She grew up slow
Like American honey

Steady as a preacher
Free as a weed
Couldn't wait to get goin'
But wasn't quite ready to leave
So innocent, pure, and sweet
American honey

There's a wild, wild whisper
Blowing in the wind
Calling out my name like a long lost friend
Oh I miss those days as the years go by
Oh nothings sweeter than summer time
And American honey

Get caught in the race
Of this crazy life
Trying to be everything can make you lose your mind
I just wanna go back in time
To American honey, yea

There's a wild, wild whisper
Blowing in the wind
Calling out my name like a long lost friend
Oh I miss those days as the years go by
Oh nothing's sweeter than summer time
And American honey

Gone for so long now
I gotta get back to her somehow”


~ American Honey by Lady Antebellum (Click here to listen.)
Figuring out who we are and what makes us tick is one of life’s greatest challenges.  I tend to be a little more self-aware than most.  I’m not sure if that’s a blessing or a curse.  Still, we all get a little lost sometimes and need to find our way back.  This is the story of where I’ve been, who I am, and where I want to be. 
I’m a girl that grew up in a small town with a family who loved me unconditionally and encouraged me to be anything I wanted to be.  I grew up in church and was constantly surrounded by good Godly people who wanted me to know His love.  I grew up believing that I could do anything. I was smart enough to know the rest of the world didn’t grow up in my warm fuzzy little bubble.  I couldn’t wait to get out there and experience all the world had to offer me, but at the same time I was completely terrified.  Like the song says, I couldn’t wait to get goin’, but I wasn’t quite ready to leave.  I was insistent that I needed to go away to college.  When it came time to go, I was so scared that my parents had to drag me to school literally kicking and screaming.  As it turns out, college was a good thing.  Imagine that?!  I learned a lot… more about life than anything else.  I made mistakes.  I formed lifelong friendships.  I got sick, and my life was changed forever.  My eyes were opened to a world I didn’t know even existed.  I learned hard lessons.  I learned to take care of myself.  I learned the value of a dollar.  I learned how lucky I was to have grown up on the side of the road where the church bells ring and strong love grows.  I learned that strong character and values are essential.  I learned about honesty and heartbreak.  I learned who I am.
Sometimes we do get caught in the race of this crazy life and we need to take a minute to remind ourselves who we are and where we came from.  I’m not perfect, but I’m happy.  I’m thankful for the people and experiences that helped shape me.
I’m a Christian. I’m funny.  I’m smart.  I’m kind and compassionate.  I’m stubborn and strong-willed.  I’m creative.  I’m a dreamer.  I’ve got a wild imagination.  I’ve got a temper.  I’m nerdy.  I’m independent. I like to be in control, but I want to be with someone who will take charge and can take care of me.  I have strong opinions about everything, and I don’t hesitate to share them.  I think the color of a person’s skin should be totally irrelevant.  I think we should all be free to love whoever we want without judgment.  I struggle with faith, but I believe God has a plan for me.  I work hard and I play hard.  I value my freedom.  I don’t like to be told what to do.  I’m funky, quirky, and occasionally awkward.  I’m funny.  I don’t like going to the bar every weekend… I don’t even like beer.  I like going to the movies, game night, theme parties, sharing a meal with friends, and road trips.  Most of the time I don’t care what anyone else thinks about me, but sometimes I do.  I want to be with a man who wants to be with me and only me.  I like being comfortable. I’m a jeans, t-shirt, and flip flops kind of girl.  I think it’s fun to get dressed up every now and then, but only when I feel like it.  I love music.  My family and friends are a priority.  I’m a big believer in communication.  I want to talk about all of my girly feelings, and I want to be with someone who isn’t afraid to share theirs with me.  I believe kids should be kids.  I think it’s our job as adults to set a good example, encourage them, teach them right from wrong, and keep them safe.  I think honesty is the best policy.  I cry during movies, songs, and commercials… even when I’m not sad.  I seek adventure.  I volunteer.  I have a heart for those who are hurting.  I wish for world peace.  I’m a diabetic with a sweet tooth.  I’m always going to be curvy… but I still want to be healthy.  I’m passionate.  I’m feisty.  I forgive easily.  I love freely… too freely often times.  I talk a lot.  I’m smart and clever.  I sometimes say things I don’t mean, and instantly regret it.  I apologize too often.  I expect too much of others.  I’m sentimental.  I’m confident in my career and a little insecure the rest of the time.  I’m emotional.  I’m a liberal Republican.  I believe we should all be free to be ourselves.  I support our military, but not war.  I believe in being faithful.  I love to dress up for Halloween.  I love giving presents even more than I love getting them.  I’m thoughtful.  I like making others feel special.  I like being the life of the party.  I’m a planner.  I’m not in any rush, but I do want to be married someday.  If I have kids, I want to adopt.  I take pictures of everything.  I like nature, but I’m allergic to it… literally.  I wiggle in my sleep.  I’m fearless.  I have a hard time trusting people.  I’m still learning to love myself and forgive myself for my mistakes. I want to surround myself with people who love me just as I am.  
So, this is me, take it or leave it.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I accidentally listed "smart" twice. Obviously I'm pretty humble too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete