Friday, July 22, 2011

It’s okay to talk to strangers... as long as they knit!

YELP! I love to share my opinions, and I have finally found people who actually want to hear them… or in this case read them! Do you Yelp? If not, what are you waiting for?! All the cool kids are doing it! So here’s the story of how I discovered Yelp, made a fabulous new friend, and joined the ranks of the Yelp Elite Squad…

Last summer, I made a spontaneous little trip to Laguna Beach, CA with a guy I was talking to… he’s really irrelevant to the story (If only had known that then! lol), but you need context… trust me. We had a layover in Phoenix and he was driving me nuts… like full on what have I gotten myself into completely bonkers kind of nuts. Simply put, he was a whiney traveler. So in a desperate attempt to change the subject I decided to throw out a random fact about myself and see where the conversation went from there. I KNIT. Yes, I did just admit that I knit. No, I’m not 80 years old. Knitting is very chic these days and all the trendy crafty girls are doing it! He, of course, was totally appalled. As we’re sitting there arguing about my claim that it’s totally cool to knit, he smarts off and I’ve finally had enough. So, I enthusiastically announce that he’s a <insert inappropriate adjective>. I go on to tell him I’m going to knit him a scarf with previously mentioned inappropriate adjective stitched on it. All the sudden I hear a little chuckle come from the seat directly behind us. Low and behold, it’s a fellow knitter! A sassy, smart, surprisingly awesome fellow knitter! Sassy fellow knitter’s name is Krys. She proceeds to join the conversation and explains that my knitting habit is legit and perhaps he’s the one who needs to brush up on the latest trend. As it turns out, Krys is also from San Antonio and has been eavesdropping on our conversation for a while now wondering how a cool girl like me got stuck traveling with “whiney guy.” As we continue the conversation, it becomes instantly apparent that Krys and I have bonded and become fast friends. She goes on to explain that she’s headed to San Francisco for a work related meeting at her company’s corporate headquarters. As it turns out, she is the Community Manager for a company called Yelp. Yelp is a social networking site where real people can share real reviews about the places they love (or hate)… restaurants, bars, spas, etc. Krys and I exchange contact info and I promise to check out Yelp. By the end of our initial meeting I’m wishing we could send Mr. Inappropriate Adjective to San Francisco and she could come to Laguna Beach with me! We hop on the plane (which we almost missed b/c we were so busy chatting it up) and eventually part ways in Orange County. When I got back to San Antonio, I set up a Yelp account and began sharing my opinions with the world… which I’ve always done, but these people actually cared about what I had to say. Nifty right?! Krys eventually came back to San Antonio and the rest is history. I yelped and yelped and yelped some more! Before long I became a member of the Yelp Elite Squad, and a permanent resident in Krys’ circle of friends. We strike up conversations with strangers just about everywhere we go, and we love to tell the story of how we were once strangers from the same town destine to meet in the Phoenix airport. So, here’s the moral of this story… well there’s actually two…

#1: It’s okay to talk to strangers!!! Always be friendly! You never know who you’ll meet or how they’ll impact your life! Krys is like a little ray of sunshine!

#2: YELP! Do it now… like right this second now! It’s a great way to find new places to eat, drink, and be merry! Plus, they have all kinds of fun social events… and when I say fun I actually mean legendary, epic, and extravagant!

If you want to check out my profile to see what it’s all about it, click the link below:
Ashley's YELP Profile!

No comments:

Post a Comment