Monday, October 31, 2011

These Boots Were Made For Walkin’

My parents got engaged just a few months after they started dating.  They knew they wanted to spend the rest of their lives together right away, but they waited to tie the knot longer than one might expect given their short courtship.  It wasn’t because they weren’t sure.  It wasn’t because they planned a big extravagant wedding.  It was because my Paw-Paw wanted to have a new pair of boots made for the wedding.  True story.  My parent's engagement lasted the exact length of time it takes to have a handcrafted pair of men’s boots fitted and sewn.  Texans in general take boots very seriously.  My family takes it to a whole new level.  My Paw-Paw has his boots handmade… and they aren’t cheap.  You could put a kid through college on what he has spent on boots in his lifetime.  He’s a very frugal man, but he understands the value in a good pair of boots.  That has been passed down through the generations.  His great grandson is two and already owns a pair of square toed Anderson Bean boots.  For those of you that aren’t in the know when it comes to boots, Anderson Bean boots are like the Rolls-Royce of boots… the closest thing you can get to a one of a kind handmade boot.  Paw-Paw and Daddy have always made sure all of our boot needs were met.  There was no style, color, or brand that we were denied over the years… even when our request was absurd.  In the first grade, I was convinced that I could not settle for a plain red pair of boots like every other girl in my class… I needed a “special” pair of boots!  They were special alright.  They were bright yellow and I thought I looked gooood!  I showed up to school sportin’ my special boots and immediately, Ashley Jacobs (you guys may know him now as Michael) dubbed me “Mustard Feet” and it stuck.  I was devastated that no one else could see the beauty in my bright yellow boots!  They were magical and unique… and mustard yellow.  I’m sure my parents saw the whole “Mustard Feet” thing coming from a mile away.  As adults, we anticipate things like that.  Still, my Paw-Paw bought me those special mustard yellow boots without hesitation, and I rocked ‘em like they were goin’ out of style.  Anyone who knows me well realizes I never really outgrew my tendency towards all things flashy and different. 
I'm all grown up now, and I still follow in my Paw-Paw’s boot shaped footsteps.  You need two pairs of boots… one pair for every day, and one pair fancy enough to be fit for a wedding.  I’ve become a bit more sensible about the color of my boots, but they’re no less flashy than they were in the first grade.  Even my every day boots secretly scream for attention… under my jeans you’ll find red uppers with purple stitching.  Boring on the bottom, funky on top!


My fancy boots are a bit more subdued.  You won’t find their color in a rainbow, but they’ve got their own spicy flare… they’re a brand new pair of Lucchese Vaquero snip-toe boots that make my feet happy and my heart sing!
Here’s the most important thing about boots… you can wear them anywhere with anything and you’ll always look hot!  You’ll also be comfortable, and that’s at the top of my list of priorities when purchasing new shoes.  I wear mine with jeans, dresses, shorts, and yesterday when I couldn’t find my flip flops I slipped them on with my pajama pants and drove to the Sonic for a Diet Coke… yeah, I looked hot!  Trust me.
Moral of the story: If you don’t own at least one pair of boots, you should go ahead and ask Jesus for forgiveness when you say your prayers tonight.       

No comments:

Post a Comment